I wrote about this subject last year and things have just got worse since then.
“While U.S. officials have long been concerned about the mindless violence bred by Mexico’s bloody and brutal drug wars, they have a new reason to worry: Americans are increasingly getting caught in the deadly crossfire.
Some who have died were themselves working for the drug cartels. But more and more often, experts say, the casualties are U.S. law enforcement officers and innocent victims who died simply because they ended up at the wrong place at the wrong time. "These cartels will stop at nothing," said Tiffany Hartley, who became an anti-cartel crusader after her husband, David, apparently was gunned down on Sept. 30 by Mexican drug gang members on Falcon Lake, a dammed section of the Rio Grande straddling the Texas-Mexico border. "The violence is not going to stop and more will die at the unforgiving hands of cartels."
Photo -Tiffany Hartley, speaking at a rally at the Colorado state Capitol in Denver on March 30, demanded that the U.S. government find the body of her slain husband, David. Story Here
More stories on The War Next Door
- Top cop quits after 145 found in Mexico grave
- Countless Juarez residents flee 'dying city'
- Violence, scandal mar governor's race in Mexico
- Gang's terror felt far from drug war on border
- 31 dead in 4 days in Mexico's Acapulco
- Images from Mexico's drug war
- NBC News: ‘War next door’ linked directly to U.S.